Sunday, April 29, 2007

Diary entry: First Day in Bangkok: Will I ever get laid again?

I have to confess, though I had tried not to let Bangkok's reputation for 'sex tourism' affect me, I must have felt on some level that sex would immediately be in the offing as soon as I arrived.

It started off well: I made friends with a lovely Brazilain woman (blonde hair blue eyes) on the bus into town. (She had made the decision to come to Bangkok the day before -- she had tired of travelling in India after three months!) But at the bus-stop she dissapeared. It is amazing sometimes how quickly I can connect with someone, and how easily I an let go afterwards (she is rapidly growing faint, a small 30 minute memory amongst the millions in a lifetime).

It would be so easy, and so tempting, to blame this desire I'm feeling on the atmosphere of Bangkok: so vital and fecund (green, lush, fleshy leaved trees and ferns dripping rain); shacks crammed between modern high rise buildings; colourful clothes flap in every window and on every balcony. All this, in my fevered mind, evidence of a million sex acts occuring at every moment. Needless to say, though you are probably bored with my prurience, I have spent the day with dilated pupils (perhaps I can blame this on the incredible variety of street market goods).

Now that I'm here though, the thought of actually having sex with someone more interested in my money is somewhat repulsive. Too cold by far. Poor poor me.

No comments: