Thursday, May 3, 2007

Diary Entry: Second day in Bangkok: Peace returns

You'll be pleased to know that I feel much more peaceful today, so hopefully this entry will not be sex obsessed.

I've decided to leave. Even though I have enjoyed myself much more today (I could blame yesterday on travel fatigue.)... I'm finding the city and people (once they have stopped trying to make money off you) quite beautiful. It is hard not to feel at home when people share such friendly smiles with you. It may be because I'm in a toursit quarter but there is a such a sense of activity and bustle -- but mostly without the stress and irratation you find in other big cities. Today is Saturday (another reason perhaps) and large groups of Thai stand talking on the streets or watch thai boxing on TVs placed outside (to escape the heat) .

I'm writing this into my diary while sitting inside a buddhist shrine. The quitest place I could find! Somehow I feel self-conscious and pretentious writing at a coffee shop or similiar. The designs in the shrine are a interesting mixture of Mahayana (Chinese influences) and Therevada buddhism (from India). In front of me there is a peaceful looking gilt buddha sitting on a throne embellished with a intricate design of an angry bearded man appearing from the clouds!

But, I think it is time to leave. My time before I start work is short and I would like to climb and spend some time on the beach.

Paul

No comments: